Friday 10 August 2012

DIY TUTORIAL - NAPKIN RINGS

I am so super happy about these napkin rings that I made.  You can make them and decorate them for any occasion.  Weddings, birthday parties, special occasions, picnics, or for any occasion that you want to add a little personality to your table.  

Take a look.  With this one, I added a strip of rhinestone mesh in silver, and  a string of beads.

You will not believe what I used to make them.  No way, never in a million years.......lol


You can add any type of trim.  Here I gave it a fringe treatment.






A butterfly.




A little silk flower with a little bling in the middle.  I love bling.....







Any colour material that you like.

More bling in the middle.



Any ribbon, of any colour and size can be added.

Simplicity!

Ok, the above picture with the grean leaf is the "napkin ring" in it's natural state, before adding your touch. 

Any guesses out there?


Here it is, 10 feet of it, ready to cut.  




This is construction steel strapping.  Used to hold pipes up or some other things that I don't know.  It is 3/4 inches thick.




Cut it to desired length using aluminum snippers.


Sand the cut ends so they are nice and smooth, and then you can bend them into a circle using pliers.  Takes a little bit of time to make them look perfectly round.


You can weave any ribbon through the holes, or anything you can think of if you want.  

You can paint them any colour.  The list is endless on what you can do with this steel strapping.



I bet no one guessed?  It is amazing what you can get at your local hardware store and turn them into something else.

Hope you liked them and thanks for looking. 

18 comments:

  1. This is an awesome repurposing --- so neat you'd be able to make them any size you want and I bet they're really cost effective too! Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks so much Jen! Very cost effective. The roll costs about $4.89 from Home Depot. With 10 feet I made 25 napkin rings. Plus the cost of any trim that you want to put on it. Or you can simply paint them and use them that way.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love all the variation you are able to get from the same base. Very neat!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks very much for commenting. Yes, you are correct, there are so many different ways you can make them look.









    ReplyDelete
  5. Angie, these are so pretty--I particularly like the first one with the pearls and rhinestones! Very clever idea.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you Athena for commenting. I love that one too. So easy, so cheap, and so fast.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Steel strapping can be a good crafting material. With a little creativity, what’s supposed to be a construction material can become a cute décor. You can turn these steel strapping into different wonderful pieces, with patience and hard work. Let your imagination run wild!

    -Carl Patten

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank very much Carl. I love going to the hardware store, and think outside the box.

      Delete
  8. What an amazing idea! Im definitely bookmarking this cause I need some napkin ring holders too! PS - where did you get the rhinestone mesh?

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you Jovana. I live in Toronto Canada, and I got the mesh at a place called Creative Bags. I am not certain if they sell through internet.
    That mesh is so versatile. You can do so much with it, as you can cut it to any size.

    ReplyDelete
  10. That is an inventive way to make use of steel strappings as napkin rings, Angie! You should do more of these with polychrome next time. You can also try changing the colors and trims to make napkin rings suitable for different holidays.


    Thelma Bowman

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks very much for your comment. I have never heard of polychrome. Where would I get some? Sounds like a great idea!

    Hugs

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a great idea! I love the bling too.

    ReplyDelete
  13. OK - I'm back again - lol
    Definitely using this idea too!!!
    Thanks again
    XOX

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your comment! This is so easy, and so inexpensive.
      You can do so much with this steel strapping.

      Delete
  14. Well I am so glad I found this !! Who would have thought it, I've been on a mission for days to find the right material just for this purpose THX for posting ... now off to the hardware store ! Elaine

    ReplyDelete
  15. I bought this Aviant Jewelers Zirconia Engagement Rings For Women for my now-fiancée for our engagement. I wanted to get her something a bit different. Aviant Jewelers Zirconia Engagement Rings for Women has a beautiful designs and I was able to pick exactly what I wanted! She absolutely loves it! It's even more beautiful in real life! The quality is good and the price is unbelievable on Amazon.

    ReplyDelete